Join elite business leaders and economists from the public and private sectors from around the world, at the 4th edition of the Sharjah FDI Forum, organized by Sharjah Investment and Development Authority (Shurooq), and the Sharjah FDI Office (Invest in Sharjah). The forum, also held with the strategic partnership of CNBC Arabia, will lead topics which will address the future socioeconomic developments, changes in global economies and the integration of innovative solutions and technologies to boost competitiveness and sustainable investments.
The two-day forum will help you capitalise on your investment opportunities and guide you to leading an array of prospects and markets from Sharjah and the U.A.E to the rest of the MENA region.
For exhibition and sponsorship enquiries:
PANEL: SHARJAH FDI INFLOWS, THE NUMBERS AND BEYOND
- Sharjah FDI in 2017 doubled to DH 5.97 Billion. How was this achieved? What has changed in the business environment between 2016 and 2017?
- Who are Sharjah’s top investors by nationality?
- What were the sectors targeted?
- Effect on GDP and labor sector.
- Discussion: 100% foreign ownership: The New UAE game changing investment law and its expected effect on FDI and GDP growth
ONE ON ONE INTERVIEW: A YEAR ON UAE VAT
- How does our experience compare to other countries that apply VAT?
- The macroeconomics of VAT in the UAE (Effect on GDP – Inflation- and unemployment)
- Effect on consumer behavior
- Effect on social standard of living
- How are industries coping with VAT? What are the challenges faced? And where are the grey areas in the implementation of VAT.
- The importance of educating the consumer about VAT
PANEL: THE RACE FOR 5 G
- What’s the problem 5G is meant to fix?
- GSM fixed the security weaknesses of analogue telephony, 3G was meant to sort out GSM’s lack of mobile data and, given it didn’t much succeed, 4G was needed to finally make consuming data less of an unpleasant experience.
- Getting the infrastructure ready. What has been done, what needs to be done?
- The future of 5G networks: Smarter business applications
- The future of 5G networks: Better support for IoT ecosystems
- Is 5G the missing link for autonomous vehicles, and smart cities?
PANEL: UAE HYPERLOOP, A QUANTUM LEAP IN TRANSPORTATION
- What is the Hyper-loop system?
- Discussion on Hyper-loop system Safety and affordability
- Impact on Environment and Energy efficiency
- Effect on real-estate prices.
PANEL: THE ICO BOOM: THE END OF VENTURE CAPITAL OR A SCAM? WILL ICO SURPASS VENTURE CAPITAL FUNDING?
- Difference between VC and ICO
- ICOs offer new benefits but also introduce new problems
- The nature of ICOs attracts different participants
- Venture capital funding usually comes with more than just a contribution of funds
- Lack of regulations offering startups the chance to raise large amounts of money in a short period of time
- Key factors pulling VC’s into ICO space
- High market cap growth
PANEL: WOMEN EMPOWERMENT AND THEIR ROLE IN REGIONAL ECONOMIES
- Women’s role in driving economic growth
- Discussion: increasing women’s labor force participation and eliminating discriminatory barriers could raise productivity by as much as 25 per cent in some economies, as per statistics in the World Bank Report – Women, Business and the Law 2018.
- Discussion: A Harvard Business Review case study shows that on average, female-founded companies create over 60 per cent more value for investors than those founded by men
- Sharjah business and investment environment, does it empower women? And how?
PANEL: CSR & CSV – MOVING BEYOND TRADEOFFS
- What are the roles a business must play in a society?
- How can companies create shared value?
- How do employees respond to CSR policies implemented by their respective companies?
- What aspects of CSR most influence and create an impact on employee behavior?
- Does the ability to create shared value apply equally to advanced economies and developing countries?
- To what extent does the concept of shared value blur the line between for-profit and nonprofit organizations?
- The connection between competitive advantage and social issues, can addressing societal concerns yield worthwhile benefits to the companies?
PANEL: MAN VS. MACHINE. THE APPLICATION AND IMPACT OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE ON INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT
- Are data science and AI trading algorithms the future of fund management?
- Will AI drive investment managers out of business?
- How versatile are the AI- asset managers? Can they manage alternative investments such as gold, and cryptocurrencies?
- Does AI bring the best of passive and active investing?
- Won’t asset managers who rely only on the traditional techniques and tools from the past limit their ability to generate higher returns?
- Will algorithms help reduce the costs of actively managed funds?
- How are algorithms and AI trading changing the dynamics of the market?
- AI ability to anticipate future unique events
PANEL: THE FUTURE OF E-COMMERCE- TRENDS THAT WILL SHAPE 2019
- Discussion: The growth of E-commerce in the last decade. The factors that help drive this growth. And where we go from here?
- Has Ecommerce shifted away from the west?
- Ecommerce automation, a dream or a reality?
- M-Commerce. Is mobile shopping the new normal?
- Trends shaping e-commerce 2018: Voice search- Augmented reality